Hello all, it's been a while since I've put up a build log outside of a campaign but there's nothing currently running that my Yak would fit into I got this kit for two reasons: (1) I really want to build ICM's Po-2 medevac kit as a dio, and it was cheaper to buy this Yak-and-figures kit than the figures alone, and (2) I've never built an ICM kit and wanted some practice with their stuff. I've gotten a bit through the build and I gotta say it's much tougher than I anticipated. Granted, anything is tougher when you're coming right off of a Tamiya P-51, but still...no alignment pins, questionable fit, fragile plastic, lots flash, sparse detail, chunky clear parts, etc. If you want a Yak-9, you don't really have a choice (likewise the Po-2 medevac) other than ICM, so get used to it. It seems like it will make for a nice model, and you'll certainly use your skills, but don't go in anticipating a relaxing weekend build.
My inspiration is a VVS "surplus" delivered to Bulgaria shortly after the country switched from Axis to Allies in late 1944. The plane is in standard VVS camo, so my painting guides are still applicable. My experiment/goal for this kit will be painting the roundels and numbers rather than using decals. Enough background, on to the build!
Another quirk of the kit, every sprue was made of a different type of plastic. The sprue in the bottom right was the sturdiest, the white/fuselage sprue was rather fragile, and the wing sprue was like putty.
The fuselage was supposed to close around the cockpit seat and floorboard, but they simply didn't align. Instead I built it like an Accurate Miniatures kit, glueing the halves together and then slide the cockpit up from the bottom. (Note the poor man's harness...thin strips of masking tape with silver paint buckles.)
The kit included a nice engine...kinda bare, but a pretty good canvas to work with for superdetailing. As usual, I built it even though it would be completely concealed. Just a habit of mine, I hate unused pieces. I'd recommend leaving it out though. The cowling didn't quite settle right with the engine in place. Since I was modifying it anyway, I decided to open up the cowling's gun port and add a barrel that I hollowed out.
Some major seams to close up. Again, no alignment pins so I'm not sure whose fault it is, but I'm pretty sure I'm not completely to blame this time around
This is it for the preliminary construction. Painting to come next.