Cool plane Jonathan!
I'm still moving along with the Do-24. Don't know if i'll make it in time though. Today i painted the second camo color, removed the masking and came to 2 conclusions:
1: i switched RLM72 and RLM73. It looked right in the jar and when spraying on, one being lighter than the other. But after removing the masking it looked the other way around. That's not something i'll change quickly because it means respraying the plane.
2: the masking tape i used was too sticky, the primer and Vallejo don't work well together, something else or all of the above. I used a mix of Tamiya tape and a cheap alternative. The results where the same. In short: a lot of the paint came off when removing the masking
This is the result at the moment:
I'm considering 2 options: restart of just move along and go with the reverse color scheme.
In all honesty i think it's best to touch up the flaked bits as best i can, accept the reverse camo and move to the decals. That means another airbrush session, some detail painting, decalling, a bit of weathering and have a decent enough looking plane. That should be doable in the remaining time. Of course an additional week would be great
All these things i am chalking up to a learning experience. I have another (well,2) Dornier Do24 complete with the AIMS update sets and Squadron canopies. That one i'll probably paint with Tamiya paints, in a lot lighter shade. Any mistakes here will be used to make that one better. And then i'll move on to the 1:48 version....